There is always a lot of buzz about giving thanks and expressing gratitude around the Thanksgiving holiday. What we may forget to say to others throughout the year is suddenly bursting from our hearts, engaging us with friends, family members and even co-workers we love, admire and are grateful for. We talk a lot about drunk driving, ignition interlock devices and how to keep the streets safe, but, what we may be forgetting to do is thank all of the sober drivers out there.
So, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you for being responsible when you drink and sober when you drive.
- Sober driving is responsible for 100% of the happy holiday events in our lives.
- Sober driving brings us closer with our loved ones.
- Sober driving teaches our kids to also drive safely.
- Sober driving gives our police officers, firemen, emergency medical personnel and ER staff friends a break from preventable tragedies.
- Sober driving is the best gift this holiday season, and throughout the year.
Thanksgiving is a time to remember the best in each other, and to create new and lasting memories for the years to come. Those memories should never be clouded by the choice to drink and drive. Family events, frantic shopping and long trips on the road can all make us want to drink more than we would, plus with a long weekend we may care less about hangovers the next morning. But, those are reasons that Thanksgiving is considered the most dangerous holiday for drunk driving, and that can be changed.
If you will be drinking, be sure that you will not be in a position to drive. Stay the night, call a friend for a ride home or hire a taxi. Not only are you setting a great example, but, your own family, friends and loved ones will be grateful that you’re safe. If you are drinking responsibly, or refraining from the spirited festivities, offer someone the gift of a sober ride home.
Have a safe and sober Thanksgiving!